Best Test Management Tools For Jira
By Tom Collins, Community Contributor - June 8, 2023
Test management is a great indicator of your test activities like test case plan, design, run, execution, bug tracking, and reporting through the software development life cycle. The test management activities lower the involvement and cost of resources for this purpose and make it more efficient. Furthermore, it produces qualitative summarized reports for your tests.
The importance of test management are:
- It covers all the test scenarios. Thus, it eliminates the chance of missing out on the bugs in the system. Thus your system meets its required standards.
- It identifies the areas of improvement with customized test reports, tracks, and analyses. In this way, it cuts the extra effort of test teams.
- It saves a lot of your time by increasing the automated test activities. Thus, your team gets more time to focus on and solve critical issues.
There are many test management tools for Jira, but you only need the reliable ones to get the best results. So, know the best ones in the following section.
Is Jira a test management tool?
- It is the perfect tool to manage your automation and manual test case with customizable workflows, bug tracking with backlog views, DevOps solution, and more.
- It follows end-to-end agile methodologies with Scrum, Kanban boards, sprint reports, burn-down charts, velocity charts, roadmaps for test plans, time tracking, and more.
- It supports seamless collaboration and communication between the test and development teams.
So, it gives a complete package for managing your test suites easily. Thus you can say that Jira is a test management tool. Again, it provides CI/CD tool integrations like – Bitbucket, GitLab, JFrog, etc., for the SD teams.
Features of Best Test Management Tools for Jira
- Test Case Management: These tools allow the testers and developers to create, review, and manage manual and automated test cases within the SDLC.
- Test Plan Creation and Management: You can make a proper test plan with the testing process, budget, human resources, entry and exit criteria, etc. This test plan helps to figure out a seamless test procedure.
- Test Execution and Reporting: These tools execute your test cases and generate test reports with real-time analysis, insight views, and more. Also, you can identify your test progress and status as well.
- Integration with Jira and other tools: The integrations with Jira and other tools improve the capability, efficiency, and accuracy of the test management tools. Hence, the organizations integrate bug tracking, CI/CD, and project management tools.
- Collaboration and Communication: These tools help the testers and developers track a bug and communicate through the comment sections for making the solutions. Also, team members can find the assigned tasks through the tool. So, they improve collaboration also.
10 Best Test Management Tools for Jira in 2023
Here are the 10 best Jira test management tools and their features. You can compare them according to the selection criteria- UI, usability, integration, and pricing.
UI and Usability
1. QAlity: is a Jira test management tool that provides the best usability experience for testing teams. It has Jira-only add-ons. As a tester, you will get all the insight for your test activities and test executions. It can leverage the test efficiency through easy reports, links, browsing for bugs, etc. It also helps to improve communication between the testers and the developers by stating the test definitions within the tasks.
2. Tricentis: It’s one of the best test management tools for Jira which assists with a quality UI that easily fits with Jira. It helps to organize your work in every stage of the testing cycle with real-time test data, reports, status, and more. Another important feature is that it allows the extraction of information from Jira even when the Jira server is down. It offers a 30-day free trial and $1.38/month per user.
3. Kualitee: Kualitee provides a two-way integration and auto-syncing with Jira. It’s popular for its user-friendly dashboards, and it supports both manual and automation testing. It has other features like – data management, status, defect severity checking, tagging, etc. It has binding with other automation frameworks (Selenium) and test management tools (GitHub, Jenkins, etc.).
4. XRAY: XRAY has a native integration with Jira (Jira add-on). So, it provides the best environment for the testers and the developers to work collaboratively. This tool helps managers to involve agile activities. That includes real-time test progress, execution, status, built-in reports, etc. Not only these, but it also includes data-driven and parameterized testing. Again it includes CI tools like – Cucumber, Jenkins and automation frameworks like – Junit, Nunit, etc.
5. Apwide Golive: It’s one of the best Jira test management tools as the enterprise solution of this tool offers the solution for test environment management in Jira. Thus you can manage configuration, integration, deployments, and release in a single environment. It helps to get the testers real-time information.
6. TestRail: TestRail integration with Jira enhances test management and results efficiently. It has the Jira test case management plugins. So, the QA and the developers manage test data, cases, planning, execution, and bug tracking for both the manual and automation tests.
You can directly work with linked Jira issues on TestRail and pick up the defect report from it to Jira. It has other integration with defect management tools (ex. Asana), automation frameworks (ex. Selenium), and CI/CD pipelines (ex. Azure DevOps).
7. QMetry: It has the Jira plugin for test management that can manage standard Jira test cases, scenarios, and issues. This tool increases the capacity of Jira projects to smoothly complete an entire test cycle. That minimizes your test efforts with test data specifications. Additionally, it has different integrations with CI/CD tools and Rest APIs. It supports cross-project reporting, BDD, cloning, link creation within Jira, and more.
8. Zephyr Sqad: It’s another of the popular Jira test case management plugins. It has bi-directional Jira integration and enterprise-level test planning, auditing, and traceability. Mostly it becomes helpful for tiny, agile teams. It manages the coordination, test case design, execution, and reporting for Jira. Also, it has integrations for automation and BDD.
9. QATouch: It’s a free test case management tool for Jira. QATouch offers a user-friendly UI for test teams. It has features like step-by-step test execution, screen recording, activity log, bug tracking, etc. It contains another attractive feature – organize your tests within an easy tree structure. But the free version of this tool has limited capabilities. You can create only 100 test cases, run 25 tests, and get 10 test reports.
10. QASE: This free test case management tool for Jira has different features. You can integrate your automated test results and reports through REST APIs within this tool. It supports hierarchical test case organizations, a smart wizard for test case run, test assignments for team members, a Night UI theme, etc. Also, it has integrations with other test management tools like Slack, GitHub, etc.
Also Read: Top 15 Test management Tools for 2023
How does BrowserStack integrate with Jira?
BrowserStack integrates Jira for test management in two different ways – ongoing Live sessions and an integration page. But it’s necessary to have an Atlassian user account for these.
- With this integration, you can find all the metadata about your test and perform bug reporting with it.
- First, you have to log-in to the BrowserStack Live dashboard. Then, click ‘Capture a bug’ from the toolbar.
- Next, you have to select Jira software from the available integration. It will navigate you to the sign-in page of Jira.
- After entering your credential, you will get the prompt – ‘Connect to my Jira account.’
- It will integrate Jira with Live.
- For the second process, you need to sign in to BrowserStack Live.
- Then select ‘Integrations’ from the drop-down list of the profile icon.
- Next, select ‘Jira Software > Connect’ from the integrations page.
- It will take you to the ‘Sign-in to Jira’ prompt.
- Now follow the same process described in the above point to integrate Jira.
BrowserStack’s Test Management Capabilities
- With BrowserStack test management features, the QA team manages their manual and automated test cases in a unified test management platform. It provides a central repository to organize the test cases within the folders and tags.
- It can easily track your test run, execution, and status through Test Observability. As a result, you will get standard test reports (JUnIt-XML, BDD-JSON) from the automation frameworks.
- It supports bi-directional integration with Jira.
- Automation frameworks easily integrate with BrowserStack test management. The tools are Selenium, Cypress, Appium, TestNG, and more.
- It has seamless integration with CI/CD tools like – Jenkins, Bamboo, Azure Pipelines, etc.